Monday, August 1, 2011

Full Circle - Kinda!

On Monday, August 1, 2005, I started my first job as a practicing Family physician after residency. I remember that day all too well. I arrived at the hospital at 6 am and my badge wouldn't work. Another physician asked me "do you belong here?" and I said yes. So she let me in the building. Then I rounded with my boss in what seemed endless patient rounds. After getting to the office, I finally mustered enough strength to ask my boss if I could just see patients in the hospital on my own. I wanted to dive in and not just follow the boss like a lonesome puppy. So I got three patients to see the next morning.

As for the office, I was working with new people. My office had no computer. I spent my time unloading boxes of stuff I felt I had to have to work. I had no one on my schedule but finally, I was able to see one patient. I remember having to dictate my note - utter dread. But the transcriptionist was very nice and told me I could give her some normals so that I did not have to say every line.

I left that day, somewhat encouraged. I remember Jeff asking me if I was happy.

So 6 years later, I am in a different job where there are exciting times ahead. Again, I am building my practice, and that is great. And I don't have to be at the hospital at 6 am! I am loving that. And I am encouraged with a practice expansion with more space and a mid-level on the horizon. And we are getting ready to change our electronic health record. So work has its challenges but they are good ones.

And, after wanting to have kids for so long, six years later I am expecting Skinner baby #2. I absolutely love the child I have already and feel so blessed to have a second one on the way.

Six years later, I am a more mature physician. I have learned lessons - hard ones. I have really treasured what is important to me in this life - my Lord and my family. My career is great and I am thankful for the opportunity to be a witness for my Lord. And I have learned that you don't have to do everything in medicine like hospital work and outpatient and nursing home, etc to be successful. And I am happier because of that.

So here's to the next 6, 12, 20 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment